Thursday, May 6, 2010

EXPLORING LUBLIN – MONDAY AND IT'S A NATIONAL HOLIDAY.

The day started with a flapping sound. It turned out to be a flock of pigeons
circling around the area between the square of buildings outside. As there is
only one shower and toilet, it seemed to be a good time to beat the rush. So it
was off to a shower before breakfast. This was, I guess, a Polish version.
Bread, a pate type spread, two types cheese blocks of soft processed but
bearing the Polish version of Edam and Gruyere, a jam or pickle and honey. All
quite filling and OK, just different to my normal cereals and or toast.

I spent quite a long time after breakfast trying to get my computer on line. But
no success nor could I get my phone to connect the the wifi (apparently wefee in
Polish).

The streets were especially empty and it took me a while to work out that there
must be a special holiday – there was. Supermarkets were open but as I later
found, only for a short time. I wandered into the bus station again – I had
checked it out last night. I am trying to work out if a bus is a suitable
option to get to Krakow. I later checked with the hostel who showed me a
timetable and costing. It is cheaper than railway, about the same time,but
without the four minutes to exchange trains at one point.

The Lublin Castle is just across the road from the buses and looks somewhat
different from many castles. It seems quite low and rectangular. The castle
contains a museum and is closed on Mondays. So I wandered around the the
nearby narrow streets, back lanes and alleyways. All very atmospheric and
mostly somewhat run down. Full of character and there were others wandering
around them as well including other photographers. Along the way I saw a horse
and cart, a Catholic church service in progress (full church as well) and I was
accosted for money by quite a well dressed male who switched to English when I
answered him with a no. He asked were I came from and I was the first Kiwi he
had met. In the end we shook hands and he asked my forgiveness; which I assume
meant he was apologizing. I had a good suspicion that he wanted a drink.

I made my way back to the centre of the Old Town and was pleasantly surprised to
find a whole group of people dressed in national costumes and old 18th and 19th
century military uniforms. Each was accompanied by a normally dressed person
who seemed mostly to a family member. Very colourful. I rushed around taking
photos and videos in the light rain. When the pairs moved off down the street
in procession I followed along with the TV and press getting more shots. All
along the route loud speakers provided the marching music. Actually, it was that
they were marching but doing a march and waltz sort of combination. Large crowds
as well as diners looked on along the route.

The procession arrived at a park where there were banners flying, a collection
of wreaths at a memorial watched over by an honour guard. A flame burned
nearby. At the stage the costumed participants performed several songs before
dancing a 18th or 19th century dance – a bit like a waltz but different
enough for me to know that it was different.

Over all this was an unexpected but very welcome opportunity to participate in
something different.

A late lunch – this would be the main meal today.

Then down to the castle foot where tonight's rock band was doing sound checks on
stage. I watched for a while filmed a tune and then headed back to the hostel.
On the way I called into one of the only the only open shop, a neighbourhood
Dele or more correctly in our terms, a corner grocer;s shop. I bought an
instant noddle looking meal – turned out to be very much like tomato soup
with lots or noddles in it. I also got some yogurt and three packets of instant
chocolate drink mixture.


Back at the hostel I chatted with the receptionist with in the end joining up as
Facebook friends. We also made made more attempts to log my PC on to the
Internet. A quiet evening in the hostel listening to the manager's selection
of Polish and Russian music played on the hostel computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment