Thursday, May 6, 2010

WARSAW TO LUBLIN BY TRAIN

Sunday 2nd May.

My train was dure to leave at 12:55pm, so I had time to have a slightly later
breakfast before the task of repacking. Isn't it amazing how the original
contents just seem to expand and take up more space than they did on first
packing.

I already had my train ticket and had also been to the machine and got a single
sector bus or tram ticket. To go to the station I decided to use the tram which
runs past the nearest corner on New World St. Fortunately Warsaw's modern trams
are low and easy to get onto with a case. Facing the side door is a seatless
area which is ideal for standing with your trolley bag. It is also by the
machine you slip your ticket into to activate it.

I had quite a bit of time to spare at the station so could check out the right
platform and where my carrage/waggon would stop. I confirmed this by check out
earlier trains arriving. One was an overnight express from somewhere in Germany
heading for Moscow. Some of the carriages were Russian railway stock and looked
a bit unkept. A lot of the couchette bunks were still set for sleeping.


Finally the train came in. There were actually two trains at platform one due to
leave at the same time. I was expecting Intercity to be rather swept up but both
trains looked fairly normal and in need of a repaint. What added to my caution
was the train in front of me did not have a first class section. So I found an
attendant who said it wa on the other side of the platform and took mr across
to ensure I didn't miss it. That tain's guard check me ticket and got me
aboard. However wagon 14 was several carriages away from me so I made my way
along the passage as the train slowly departed. I found my compartment and
ended up having it to myself for the who trip. There could have been another 5
passengers in it.

I would not have called it first class so my memories of second class going to
and from Krakow a couple of years agoe are most likely still true. Still it was
comfortable and the windows just clean enough to take photos out of.

For the first part of the journey the train tended to go quite slow and I
wondered if the hostel receptionist's comment that Intercity was the fast train
where actually true. Still after half way we were moving along at a better pace.
A few stops were made along the way. At one point a man came by with what I
thought was a toddler's push chair, but it turned out he was selling coffee and
tea.


The trip crossed level plains with few unudations. Most was being farmed, orten
it would seem by small farmers. There were some wooded areas and from time to
time orchards in full spring blossom display. That looked very attractive to
see. The landscape had more urban centres (small towns and villages) nearer to
Warsaw. I was impressed by the style of the rural buildings and some of the
urban areas as well. So much seemed relatively moden and new.


Once again I was interested to see the large railway marshalling yards and the
vaious rail tracks merging intowards tne main line. I realised why marshing
yards were often the target of Allied bombing durin WW2. They were such an
important part of the transport system.


We arrived at Lublin, a smaller station than I had expected. No problem though
as I was able to exit easily. Well after I had lowered my bag down four steps
of the wagon. The tops step was about my sholder height.


Outside at the trolley bus stop I could only find a timetable for a different
number route to the hostel's instructions. Luckily a young English dwelling
Pole was able to translate as we asked an old gentleman about the bus I needed.
The sum of that was that his suggestion was that I walk down the street a couple
hundred meters to the intersection and find a bus stop around that point. Sure
my bus would pass that stop. I did, he was correct and it did stop. I got on
and noticed a cash box by the driver which meant that I had to pay him and not
look for a issuing box. We sorted out the ticket quickly and we drove off
through the town, I must confess that it does look just right for a film
director wanting a location to shoot a WW2 story.

Each bus stop is shown at the front sometimes as a computer display but here it
was just a notice board. Each stop is automatic so no worry about ringing the
bell in time. The hostel was easy to find as the buildings were numbered enough
to work out the direction to walk.


The buildings looked rough on the outside but inside the clearly indicated door
it looked more modern and recently painted. The Lublin Hostel is only on the
second floor. It is 8 months old and and very pleasant clean and tidy. The
maximum it can take is around 24 so it isn't large. The receptionist was young
and cheerful and offered to make me a cup of coffee on the spot. My room has
two single beds in a nice modern pine style. There is a tiny low table a coat
and had stand and wide marble window sills. Nice and the bed is comfortable.


After settling in I headed out partly to find dinner and partly to visit a ATM
(Bankmat) as the hostel did want cash payment and I had not expected that and
needed a top up of cash. Dinner was eaten out in a sidewalk cafe in the old
town pedestrian mall. One of many restaurants. I had a sliced pork schnitzel
plus vegetables in water (actually boiled) and fries. It filled a spot. Once
again the mall and surrounding roads were filled with folk out walking. Nearby
below the castle a rck concert was in progress but I didn't attend.


Back at the hostel and I got into conversation with an American who I would
suspect would be about 40. He came from Michigan and had Russian heritage. He
had a long flowing beard which he had platted the lower portion into a pigtail.
He stood 6ft 4ins tall so was quite a commanding figure. Turns out he does not
like Obama one bit nor his medical plan not the illegal immigrants. But he does
like Prairie Home Companion and we were able to share thoughts on the News from
Lake Wobegon. I did not dare to suggest he read Garrisons Keillor's book on
Democracy.

He had to be remined by the manager to pay for his night's stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment