Monday, May 31, 2010

RIGA – HOBBLING AROUND ON COBBLES

Monday 31st May 2010
After breakfast, which for us this morning was around 10:30am, I left Robyn in
the hostel common room working on her computer while I went off to take photos
around the market. I have not had a camera with me on the previous wanders
around so this was time to get some pictures and videos done.
I took some close ups of flowers on sale, very colourful ones, old ladies
standing selling handfuls of old fashion women's stockings. Shots of clothing,
groceries, meat and cheese and various vegetables. However, the most
interesting location I felt was in the fish market. Here I took closeups of all
sorts of fish heads, salted herrings and trays full of sardines. Also all sorts
of salted and raw fish roll ups. All very interesting I though. I don't see
anything like this in NZ.

Then Robyn and I headed to the supermarket to have coffee and cake in their
western style cafe. Well as western style as you can get in Riga. Then off for
a walk around the river side gardens.
I have developed quite a sore area at the back of the ankle on my left leg. I
think it is a result of my boots pressing against the area each step I take. It
is a problem which has really just developed since I arrived in Riga. On the
other hand the blister on my right foot is not painful now. Win one loose one.
So it was a case of walking a bit more slowly and sitting down more often than I
normally would. Later back at the hostel Robyn applies a selection of foot balm
and healing creams which hopefully will assist reduce the area of aggravation.
I have put new insoles into the boots and tomorrow will give the boots a spell
by wearing shoes. Boots are great for the cobble stone streets but not if they
aggravate the heel area.
We visited the Orthodox Cathedral. We decided that it was Russian Orthodox. No
photos allowed so it was just look. And it was very interesting. There were
several icons which had the same image of Mary and baby Jesus which people were
showing devotion to. Lots of paintings on the walls and screens of Biblical
figures and saints. There seemed to have been a lot of gold used in the
paintings.
Then it was a further park to walk through before we go to the building where
Sergi Eisenstein was born in 1898. The only indication of that event was a
plaque on the wall in Latvian and Russian. Of course I took a few photographs
to evidence my visit.
We passed several great buildings hosing the National Opera, the National
Theatre, a National Art Gallery and a lesser white building housing the WC.
Entry fee 0.20 Lats. The lady in the booth made sure that Robyn paid on the way
out as the lady had been at the men's window collecting my money when Robyn went
in the other door.
We continued on into the Old Town to pass by the Riga Castle, which was nothing
all that inspiring or noteworthy. In face I realised that I had gone within a
100 metres of it twice previously but it was so much like an ordinary building
that I just didn't recognise it for what it was.
So I continued my hobble along the narrow cobbled roads and alleyways. Robyn
spotted Hobbywool, a shop of wool made garments and such items as a knitted
iced cake with cherries on top. OK you work it out. I had a cup of coffee and
sat looking at the 'cake' while Robyn looked at other products in the adjoining
room.
Then on to the restaurant where I had had my second night meal. A good welcome
from the wait staff and we had – you guessed it – pork again, plus I had a
barley and black bean soup and Robyn had potato cakes. It was an enjoyable
meal, sitting outside and watching the world go by.
Then a slow walk back to the hostel to relax and have a cup of tea. Well Robyn
did and I forgot to have mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment