Saturday, May 15, 2010

ON THE MOVE AGAIN

Friday 14th May

Today the aim was to get from Wroclaw to Lodz by bus.

An early glance out of the bedroom window showed a dry morning but with everyone
wrapped up warmly. However, by the time I actually left the hostel it was
raining and the umbrellas were up.

The tram stop was just down the Ruska St (where the hostel was) at an
intersection. There were tram stops bot sides of the busy intersection. The
first task was to find which stop for tram 22 and which direction it was for.
In the end I went to the wrong one first so had to cross the intersection to
the stop which was for the tram heading to the bus station. Tram 22 going in
the other direction had it stop where I first went to.

Fortunately the tram was not crowded as some where. I was an older unit so I had
to give my case a big heave up three steps.

At the busy bus centre I wandered around looking for the bust to Lodz. I knew it
was arriving from another town and would have a stop over of some time here. I
found it but the driver seemed reluctant to put my bag away in storage. I could
not understand his comments. So I hung around the bus while various people got
on ( the passengers from previous stops). Finally the driver got outy and out
and stowed my bag and sold me the ticket. I found a seat and decided that the
bus was comfortably empty. About 10 minutes before due departure the bus drove
off, but only to another part of the terminal where there was a big crowd
waiting to board for the 11:30am departure. Consequently the bus was now full.

It was a largely uneventful trip. It was raining for most of the way so the wet
window made taking photos a waste of time.The farmland was again crops or
grass. No animals. Lots of bright yellow fields, most likely this was a crop of
rape. There were some times driving through woods which I rather liked. There
were small settlements hardly a village size and numerous small towns and a few
larger ones – even a city, to pass through. Usually the bus stopped to pick up
and or let down passengers. At one stage a man was standing because there were
no spare seats.

The bus ran late, about an hour behind schedule by the time we got through the
rush hour traffic of Lodz to the terminal.

Flamingo Hostel was about 15 minute walk away and fairly easy to locate. Ah!
Joy, the reception was on the ground floor. Oh no! The rooms are four floors up
the stairs. OH amazing! A young man offered and did carry my bag up the stairs
to the top in quick time. How really nice of him.

The hostel is new and the rooms are large and light and airy. I have a twin room
with a couple of narrow single beds. There a couple of floor to ceiling glass
doors which open up unto a deck. The view is over a wide courtyard and roof
tops. Two rooms share a bathroom, which is a nice arrangement. I think the
ajoining room is empty.

With a few directions from reception, I headed to the next street running
parellel with the hostel street. This was the main street and was full of
rather empty restaurants and bars. I also realized that the rain was getting
heavier and I only had a fleece jacket on. Getting cooler too.

The first thing I noticed was the sound of Chopin piano music being played.
There was an inflatable gazebo with a grand piano in it. As I watched young
women took turns at the keyboard to play a tune. Very pleasant. There was a
similar set up at the other end of the street. Half way along there was a more
elaborate stage set up. Here a quartet was playing Vivaldi. Later when I passed
after eating pizza, the stage was occupied by a small orchestra playing Mozart.
There was a small crowd standing in the rain with their umbrellas up listening.
I was impressed by the music and thought that it was the sort of happening we
should have more often in Auckland.

I must check tomorrow in case they are doing the same musical presentations.
Only this time I will have and extra layer of warmth on and wear a rain coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment