Thursday, May 6, 2010

LAST DAY IN LUBLIN

5th May 2010

Visited the Euroline Bus Company representative. Although they only book routes
going out of Poland, he took the time to work out a way around his system and
book tickets for Robyn and me from Riga. I was very greatful for his time and
efforts as I had never got beyond the "purchase tickets" stage on line from
NZ. Their system kept refusing NZ credit cards.

This time the agent used his own card and got the tickets. I paid him cash and
little more for his time as I was so pleased to have the tickets. The
interesting thing is that the seat numbers we now have are exactly the same I
was going to get if only my card had been accepted.

Walked a bit around the more modern shopping area which I had not been to before
– in the rain.

Had a cappuccino at the Nescafe Cafe. Yes it was a busy cafe based around a
variety of options based on Nescafe. It is however the closest cafe I have
found to a NZ coffee cafe. Lovely slice of Torte, even if it was very thin.

Visited two churches, one being the cathedral, rebuilt after almost total damage
in WW2. There is a famous painting of the Madonna here which is supposed to have
wept tears in the 1940's. Today there was a steady flow of folk coming to
worship in front of the picture. Each time I go into a church there is either a
service in progress. Mid day seems a very popular time to attend church – any
day. Or there were folk quietly sitting and contemplating. I have also been
surprised by the number of times I have seen people at confession and others
queuing and waiting their turn.

I visited the Historic Museum which was in the Lublin Gate tower. You wind your
way up a spiral staircase stopping at each small floor and its exhibits. Some
old door locks and the mechanism of a large clock were interesting. There was a
good view from the narrow top floor windows. It cost more – twice as much –
to get a photo permit as it did to get an entrance ticket. In reality I could
have put my camera away and saved money.

Visited the Lublin Castle (photo cost again about twice entrance). I got to
visit the castle's Chapel. I is only open at certain times and costs more –
no photography. It did have an unique collection of frescoes. In fact every
wall and ceiling space was covered in frescoes showing the Gospel story along
with angels and cherubs. Colour was rather dull earthy tones and reading the
literature I saw that they have been white washed and plastered over at some
point, then rediscovered and restored and more recently some more restoration.
However, you did get the idea of what the kings saw when they went to church.

Dined out in a tucked away Polish restaurant with atmosphere and local menu. I
had Polish Ryemeal soup which included a egg and stripes of thick smoked pork.
Then a main course of a pork dish with horse raddish and mustard and rye bread.
Thee was a tiny piece of lettuce.


And that was the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment